Pms and Menstrual Problems
chasteberry, dong quai, shepherd's purse, kalzium, magnesium
| ||infusion , tincture|
Home Remedies for Menstrual Problems Menstruation
Do's and Don't for Menstrual Problems
Following are some of the simple tips for menstruation:
- Avoid foods that may cause constipation, especially in the last week of the menstrual cycle. This includes fried foods, sour foods and protein-rich pulses.
- Fish is a good dietary indication for painful periods. Fish contain omega-3 fatty acids which help to ease the spasms during menstruation.
- Avoid meat, poultry and dairy products.
- Healthy food habit and exercise and yoga help in solving menstrual problems.
- Iron rich food is also important for women suffering from anemia.
- Vegetables such as white pumpkin, papaya, drumstick, snake gourd, bitter gourd and cucumber are good for dysmenorrhea. Potato, yellow pumpkin and eggplant must be avoided.
Home Remedies for Menstrual Problems
Following are some of the effective home remedies for menstrual problems:
- Parsley (ajmoda) is an easy and effective home remedy for the treatment of menstruation. This is useful for women who either have painful or no menstrual flow. The muscles in uterus contracts due to severe pain during menstruation, and this later cause irregular blood flow. Patient should take 1/2 cup of parsley juice. This juice can be taken with other vegetable extracts like carrot juice.
- Women with anemia suffer a lot during menstruation period. Sesame seeds (til) are good home remedy for relief from severe pain during the menstruation period. It also increases the blood release during menstruation. Take 1-2 teaspoon of sesame seeds in a glass of water and boil it. Allow it to stand for some time, strain the mixture. Drink this mixture one to two times a day.
- Add some sesame seeds in a glassful of water. Drink this twice daily when you have menstrual pains.
- Papaya is helpful in treating menstrual problems. Women (especially young females) suffering from poor flow of blood during their menstrual period or those who experience severe pain during this period should eat raw papaya. Papaya helps in proper functioning of the muscles of the uterus, which enable the proper flow of blood.
- Banana is another useful fruit during the menstruation period. Women suffering from excess bleeding and severe pain at the back and stomach should take banana leaf, cooked in little oil, with curd. This gives fast relief from pain and also controls the excessive blood flow.
- You can also try this easy and effective home remedy for menstrual pain. Prepare a mixture of coriander (dhania) seeds and water by adding 15-20 seeds in a glass of boiling water. Boil the mixture until half the water is evaporated. Allow it to stand for some time and drink. You can add little sugar in it as this mixture is bitter in taste. This will give fast relief from menstrual pain and also controls excess blood flow.
Herbal Remedies for Menstrual Problems
Following are some of the effective herbal remedies for menstrual problems:
- Asoka is used to get relief from menstruation pain. The bark of the asoka tree is given to women who experience extreme blood loss during menstruation due to leucorrhea or uterine fibroids. It has a stimulating effect on the uterine wall and the mucus layer in the reproductive tract.
- Bamboo leaves are prescribed for menstruation pain. Regular consumption of the leaves of the bamboo is prescribed to promote and regulate the menstrual flow.
- A decoction of bloodwort is used to correct irregular periods. Its oil is also used in the treatment of female reproductive disorders.
- Another useful herbal remedy for menstrual problems is chicory. Seeds of chicory are prepared into a decoction to treat problems of obstructed menstruation.
- Dill herb is efficient in stimulating menstrual cycles. It helps women who have delayed periods to get their periods on time. Young anemic girls are prone to spasmodic menstruation, which can be quite painful. A decoction of dill is prepared with the leaves of parsley to treat such problems.
- Indian Spikenard (jatamansi) is a very useful herb in the treatment of painful and irregular periods.
- Asafoetida is very useful in increasing the secretion of the female hormone, progesterone. Thus it facilitates menstruation. Fry asafetida gum in ghee and mixed with goat’s milk and a spoonful of honey for a month. This will reduce the pains during menstruation and also make the flow reduced.
- Lemon grass is also beneficial in painful and difficult menstruation. It can be taken in the form of a tea.
- Sometimes cold climates also cause painful and irregular periods. An infusion of ginger sweetened with sugar is taken for correcting such problems.
- The Indian aloe is a stimulant of the uterus. Hence it is given in cases of painful menstruation.
- Marigold is another useful herb that is very effective for the menstruation-related problems. Women suffering from severe pain during this period should take 1-2 tablespoon of marigold extract two times a day. This also regulates the blood flow during menstruation.
Herbal Remedies For Menstrual Disorders
Menstrual Problems disrupt a woman’s health cycle to a great extent. Women are often seen in pain and being very moody and snappy. Those three or four days are the most dreaded part of the month. In order to bring about an effective cure for this problem resort to the following herbal solutions.
Chaste Tree: Is an herb that was initially used to suppress sexual drives amongst the monks and the religious. Its benefits in healing menstrual cramps and regulating periods are very remarkable. This herb helps control the production of hormones, which are responsible for the regulation of the menstrual cycle. Irregularities in periods and heavy bleeding are also healed with the help of this herb. This herb however, cannot be taken by one and all. If the doctor gives his consent only can one use this herb. Also this herb cannot be taken during pregnancy and when one is going through depression, as depression tends to worsen when one takes this herb.
Unlike Chaste tree, which is an all in one herb that heals almost the problems related to Menses, there are other herbs, which heal only one specific aspect of menstrual problems. Some problems that can be healed with the help of herbs are as follows
- Menstrual Cramps: Herbs like false Unicorn root, cramp bark, Jatamansi and red raspberry bring about menstrual cramp relief. Dong quoi is a Chinese herb that relieves the uterus thus easing out cramps during menses
- Heavy Periods: Herbs that are very helpful in such a condition are Yarrow, Nettles, Dong Quoi and Shepherd’s purse. They help by channelizing the flow of the blood away from the pelvis. Licorice is another herb that helps regulate a normal menstrual flow.
- Irregular Periods: Parsley, Blue Cohosh, ginger and skullcap are herbs that help one have regular and normal periods.
Herbs are not only the best cure but also are easily available and are very affordable.
Herbs that lower estrogen levels
High estrogen levels can lead to various health problems such as ovarian cysts, premenstrual syndrome (PMS), etc. The herbs that may lower estrogen levels are alfalfa, red clover, flax seeds, kudzu, black cohosh, etc.
Specific herbs are used to treat different menstruation problems.
For example the following menstrual irregularities and menstrual symptoms can be treated using the following herbs:
- menstrual cramps: herbs such as false unicorn root and cramp bark can help alleviate cramps associated with PMS and therefore can bring PMS relief. Red raspberry is another herb that can help bring menstrual cramp relief. Such herbs can be particularly helpful for women who suffer from dysmenorrhea. Jatamansi is another herb that is especially helpful for this condition.
- heavy periods: yarrow, nettles and shepherd's purse help to reduce heavy bleeding by directing the flow of blood away from the pelvis. Women who suffer from chronically heavy menstruation, known as menorrhagia, can particularly benefit from the healing properties of such herbs.
- irregular periods: for women who experience irregular periods, a condition whose medical name is oligomenorrhea, there are a variety of Chinese herbs which can help to regulate their menstruation cycle. Such herbs include jatamansi, blue cohosh, ginger and skullcap. Parsley can also stimulate irregular or absent periods.
How to Take Herbs
In order to try and prevent the above menstrual symptoms and menstrual irregularities, it is advised that herbs be taken one week prior to the onset of menstruation. This is due to the fact that this is the time when hormone levels in the body begin to surge.
Because it can take three months for a woman to notice significant results in the improvement of her menstrual problems and menstrual symptoms, it is advised that she take such menstrual herb treatment for a sustained period of time.
You should also always consult with your doctor before taking any herbs for menstrual relief.
For more information on menstrual pain relief, click here.
Menstrual Problems home remedy treatment is quite effective. Following are some Menstrual Problems cure home remedies. Read on for home remedy for Menstrual Problems: