Scotland Yard is investigating the disappearance of around $500,000 worth of jewels — earrings and a necklace — that went missing after an Elle magazine shoot ... and guess who was front and center for the shoot? Our freckle-faced friend.You might recall that Lohan once swiped an $11,000 fur coat (Which she's pictured wearing at left) from a student at Columbia and stole a bunch of stuff from the closet of Shia LaBeouf's ex-girlfriend, but was able to avoid prosecution each time.
Now, we're sure this is just a coincidence, but Winona Ryder is on the cover of the July 2009 edition of Elle UK. Go figure.
Is Lindsay Lohan really responsible for stealing that necklace?
Kleptomania is recognized by the American Psychiatric Association as an Impulse Control Disorder (others include Intermittent Explosive Disorder, Pathological Gambling, Pyromania and Trichotillomania). Kleptomania was first described in 1838 by French psychiatrist Jean-Etienne Esquirol. People with kleptomania differ from ordinary shoplifters because they do not steal for personal gain but rather to relieve psychological symptoms. (“I have kleptomania, but when it gets bad, I take something for it.”)
To be diagnosed with kleptomania, a person needs to meet the following criteria:
- Recurrent failure to resist impulses to steal objects that are not needed for personal use or for their monetary value
- Increasing sense of tension immediately before committing the theft
- Pleasure, gratification or release at the time of committing the theft
- The stealing is not committed to express anger or vengeance and is not in response to a delusion or hallucination
- The stealing is not better explained by another mental disorder such as Conduct Disorder, a Manic Episode or Antisocial Personality Disorder
What are the odds that someone who shoplifts is a bona fide kleptomaniac? One survey of 791 college students showed that, although nearly 29% admitted to having stolen something in his/her lifetime, less than half of 1% met the diagnostic criteria (see above) for kleptomania. Based on this data, more than 99% of shoplifters do not have kleptomania.
More information at Resounding Health
Lindsay Lohan nude spread for Playboy is leaked